atw: Re: The Educational Benefit of Ugly Fonts ...

  • From: Allan Charlton <allancharlton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 13:59:37 +1100

Well, I didn't know what an 'epopt' is, either, so I looked it up. It isn't in any of my hard-copy dictionaries or my online Macquarie, but I found some definintions in some online dictionaries. The definition I liked the best was "One who has attended the epopteia."

In simple language, an epopt is someone who has been instructed in the mysteries of a secret or mystical system. We could probably agree that choosing between fonts, especially serif vs sans-serif fonts, is a mystical art, so the word fits the usage.

Allan

On 17/01/2011 1:07 PM, Stuart Burnfield wrote:
And  I don't pretend to know what an 'epopt' is, but it sounds impressive ;^)