atw: Re: Technical Writing for Retirees!

  • From: "Jill Nicholson" <jpnicho@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 12:25:32 +1100

Martin I am one of the older members of the fraternity and I am still going
strong, writing and training and keeping up with what is going on via society
work.
Join your local ASTC and go to meetings is my advice - in other words network.
Also do a tech writing course  - then you will at least have a beginning
understanding of what it involves. I can think of 2 very successful tech
writers who were school teachers so it is not an impossible change; I moved
from a Uni job teaching science. You probably have experience, people skills
and understanding - many young people lack these attributes and come from uni
believing they are crash hot writers and that is enough, actually it isn't.
Fifteen years ago I was teaching 1st year students the joys of Geology and now
I am on the threshold of my technical writing skills course becoming
internationally delivered.
It can happen, so give it a go and good luck to you.
Jill

Please contact me if you need further help, encouragement etc.
Jill Nicholson
N&H Communications
2 Park Ave
ROSEVILLE,  NSW 2069