atw: Re: Technical Writing for Retirees!

  • From: pfagan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 09:25:39 +1100 (EST)

The consistently proffered advice of my mentor in the technical writing
profession (which I entered in my forties when the sensationalists were
saying "anyone over forty has rapidly diminishing job prospects") was:

"Peter, DON'T POST"

However I just can't resist responding to this ludicrously hyperbolic and
preposterously misleading piece of tosh.

Oh, Martin

Why on earth would you imagine that you could move into tech writing at
your age?

PF: Why on earth not? Sounds quite reasonable to me. I recently
recommended such a move to a slightly younger ex-mayor of a suburban
council in Sydney who I also think could admirably transition into the
profession.

Bluntly, you're too old

PF: Ageist; for that reason deeply offensive, and also bluntly, poppycock.

 - I am older than you so I am allowed to say that.

PF: No one, young, middle-aged, old or ancient, is "allowed" to make
prejudiced and offensive statements. You can choose to do so if you want,
but see for yourself how far they get you.

Had you been a TW until now, at your age, you would be moving out of tech
writing.

PF: Nonsense. I am in my fifties and consider myself to be in the peak
years of my tech writing career.

Tech writing is extraordinarily demanding

PF: I don't believe good writers find it "extraordinarily demanding". It
has its moments and requires hard work, dedication, concentration,
organisation, aptitude and skill, but "extraordinarily demanding" it is
not.

and the industry is as ageist as everywhere else in corporate.

PF: I am pleased to say I have never encountered ageism when seeking roles
- not after I turned forty and first entered the industry, nor after I
turned fifty.

There is nothing about it that is suitable for a mature age person.

PF: I totally disagree. It is an entirely suitable occupation for a
mature, literate, learned, patient and tolerant person, as I adjudge
Martin, from his posts, to probably be.

Roles are mostly too low in the corporate hierarchy,

PF: Too low for what?

and the whole idea of mature age people voluntarily becoming juniors is
ludicrous.

PF: Why? If Martin progresses as quickly as I suspect he may, he will be a
junior for only a brief period. Then he will progressively become a
senior. Sounds like a deal to me.

In addition, the level of brain work is extreme

PF: I don't think so. See my earlier comment re "extraordinarily demanding".

and the level of brain stress has destroyed many younger people.

PF: Fantastic nonsense.

If you hang around this list for
long enough, you will see good contributors becoming irrational, ranting

PF: Ahem...

and then quitting the industry

PF: Your choice...

and the list.

PF: Promise?

It's not for the faint hearted.

PF: Again see my earlier comments. Martin you will cope. It simply is not
hugely stressful, and besides, it is mostly fun, as you meet and work with
pleasant and intelligent people and learn about interesting and useful
technologies.

I wonder if you are the victim of discrimination against the mature age in
your own industry and are trying to find an industry where age is an
advantage?  If that is the case, believe me, this is not it!

PF: Martin, if you get started on the basis of realistic expectations and
find the work suits you, I think you will find age IS an advantage. I am
not in a position to help you directly, being Sydney-based, but I join
many others on the list in encouraging you to give it a go and wishing you
all the best.

ck

Peter Fagan
IntraDoc Pty Ltd