atw: Re: Technical Writer / Communicator - role title in French

  • From: "Reginald Hardman" <cleardoc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "austechwriter list" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 14:54:29 +0100

Thanks Jonn,
Actually the problem I have does not relate to the keyboard. I work in
both French and English and have set up my keyboard to produce the
required characters in a convenient way. When I compose a message, and
send it to myself (for example), the accented characters appear
correctly. When I post the same message, then read it in the downloads
from austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, the accented characters appear as
"=3DXN".

I send and receive messages all day containing accented characters,
without this problem. This leads me to conclude that:
1) my system is not corrupting the characters,
2) the various email servers through which my messages are passed aren't
doing it, so
3) something in freelists.org is not handling the characters, or is not
interpreting what I send correctly, or
perhaps there is some variable I need to set somewhere in my Win2000 or
Linux systems, or Mozilla browser to resolve the =3DXN codes coming from
freelists.org.=20

If anyone else can shed a glimmer of light on the subject, I would be
grateful. I consider it a minor irritation, and so have not spent the
time delve more deeply into it.

Regards
Reg

--