atw: Re: Suggestions for getting a start as a Technical writer

  • From: Jean Hollis Weber <jean05@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 20:01:19 +1000

Warren Lewington wrote,

> Jean's suggestion about getting involved with the Open Office people
> is a good one, she will be in Sydney at the conference, oversees
> activity in some way (or at least did so), with the technical
> documentation and would be an excellent mentor for you if you both hit
> it off...

Thanks for the plug, Warren, but these days I do very little mentoring,
much as I would like to. No time! And yes, I am still Co-Lead of the
OpenOffice.org Documentation Project, which means I attempt to
coordinate the volunteers writing, editing, reviewing, the user guides
(aka "herding cats"). So what do I do for a holiday? Go to an ASTC
conference. I'm retired. I must be crazy. But I always learn something,
and I enjoy myself too.

See ya Friday.
--Jean