From: austechwriter-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:austechwriter-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Silcock, Howard
DR
Sent: Tuesday, 7 June 2005 11:02 AM
To: Austechwriter (austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Subject: atw: SEC: UNCLASS Decreasingly meaningful authoring (WAS:
Product of choice)

> As the years roll by, the actual authoring experience is decreasingly
> meaningful. We are seeing the integration of products by way of XML
data,=20
> so that some documents are never actually authored - they are produced
on=20
> demand as a sophisticated report.

Steve, could I get you to clarify this statement? When a product is to
be
integrated into a new environment, I can see that the new environment
needs
information about it, and that that information could be supplied in XML
format. Is this what you mean by "integration of products by way of XML
data"? If so, I'm still unclear where the "documents that are never
actually
authored" come in. Amd how do the "sophisticated reports" come in, if
they
aren't designed and implemented in code by someone who has made the
decisions as to what to include and how to set it out? Doesn't that, in
effect, mean that the 'coder' has taken on the role of author? Isn't it
dependent on him whether the reports are "sophisticated" or not?

I've heard that the literary theorist Roland Barthes argued for the
'Death
of the Author' (though I never attempted to understand what he was
saying).
Are you trying to argue that technology is murdering authors (maybe even
technical writers)?

Howard

-------------------------------
=20    Howard L. Silcock
=20     Technical Writer
Project Office - Infrastructure
=20   Department of Defence
=20      (02) 626 58828 =20
-------------------------------

=20

with "unsubscribe" in the Subject field.

austechwriter-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachment to it are intended only =
to be read or used by the named addressee. It is confidential and may con=
tain legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is w=
aived or lost by any mistaken transmission to you. The RTA is not respons=
ible for any unauthorised alterations to this e-mail or attachment to it.=
=20Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, an=
d are not necessarily the views of the RTA. If you receive this e-mail in=
=20error, please immediately delete it from your system and notify the se=
nder. You must not disclose, copy or use any part of this e-mail if you a=
re not the intended recipient.

austechwriter-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx