atw: Re: Report on TCANZ Conference

  • From: Jean Hollis Weber <jean@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Australian Technical Writers List <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:23:04 +1000

Jill Nicholson wrote,
 > I did not know the NZ conference was on - they should advertise more
heavily here.

I agree, and I mentioned this to the organisers. I did have an announcement
in my Technical Editors' Eyrie Newsletter 74, dated 30 July 2003, but the
organisers should have sent notices to the two ASTC newsletters and the
STC-Australia chapter -- and I don't think they did.

This is a symptom of a more general problem: we in Australia and NZ have
not been good at getting out announcements of many conferences (including
the ASTC-NSW conference) well in advance, so travel and other arrangements
are often difficult for people who must plan months in advance. And we
aren't very good at sending those announcements around widely enough, even
when we do get them out in a timely manner.

I realise that in some cases the exact dates don't get firmed up as soon as
the organisers would like, but that shouldn't stop us from making some
general announcements as far in advance as possible.

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
The Technical Editors' Eyrie  http://www.jeanweber.com/