atw: Re: Replacing Word (Long...)

  • From: "Anthony Self" <ASelf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 17:12:14 +1000

Hi Dave

Just about every element in DITA (including phrases, terms, quotations, labels,
paragraphs, steps, abstracts, topics, and groups of topics) has a standard set
of metadata attributes to allow characteristics (such as audience, product,
platform, etc), to be nominated if required.

When you publish your source content, you can (if you like) define what parts
you want to exclude based on those attribute values. You can also choose to
"flag" rather than exclude, which if for scenarios when you might want to
highlight, say, "administrator only" content, or "Lite Version" features, or
"NZ Market" content. You can also choose, at the publishing stage, how you want
items flagged.

Using these standard features for conditional publishing is very easy to do. It
is very simple to add attribute values in authoring tools (and those tools
usually highlight such text so you, as an author, can easily see what's
potentially conditional). It is also very simple to set the conditions in
publishing tools, including in the free, open source, DITA Open Toolkit.

While accomplishing most authoring tasks in DITA ends up being simple, the
different approach to conventional linear, style-based authoring can prove
difficult to grasp. Once that get through that hurdle, the next issue is that
the large selection of tools makes it difficult to work out how to get started.

Tony Self

>>> David Ryan 28/04/11 2:59 PM >>>
Hi all,
What's the conditional text aspect of DITA like in real-life applications, or
in your experience? My main gripe with the reliance on Word in an age of CMS is
that the most basic premise of programming is something denied talented tech
writers. I'm hoping to find something more object oriented, where in Rosemary's
example a simple business logo (or mission statement/T&C's/trading terms) can
be change by running a simple query on the tag assigned to the asset. This is
something that a CMS would excel at, and also allow more technical users to
query the database of content either through the UI or, in the case of
mass-scale changes (or stuff-ups) directly on the database tables. Surely in
2011 we should be moving away from complex documents in linear text files, and
moving towards reproducible modular content sets. Very keen to explore DITA
more! Taking a lot of notes from this topic, thanks for the info all.

Regards,

Dave

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Anthony Self <ASelf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi everyone

Interesting conversation.

Just to clarify, though, Author-it supports some DITA-like features, but is not
a DITA authoring tool. It uses a proprietary format that only allows "lossless"
interchange with other Author-it repositories. It has a very limited DITA
export function, and it allows you to build structured content models similar
to those of DITA. Apart from that, it has no DITA functionality.

There are many really good DITA authoring tools, but Author-it is not one of
them. That's not to say that Author-it is not a good authoring tool. It is. But
it is not a DITA tool, and users cannot therefore take advantage of many of the
benefits that DITA offers to technical communicators.

Tony Self

>>> Rhonda Bracey 28/04/11 11:00 AM >>>

Answer: Author-it

Rhonda Bracey