atw: Re: Replacing Word (Long...)

  • From: "Lewington, Warren J" <warren.lewington.ext@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 10:37:06 +1000

To be positive. For a change! Three things you need to succeed with this
problem:

1. A track record at the work place.
2. Understanding how technical communication is measured at the workplace.
3. Clear, simple explanations about the benefits of moving document and content
management tools from MS Word for that business.

I have been here for some time. I have built up an enviable record with
producing good documentation. I have started to win the document management
battle recently. We are moving over to a document management and content
management paradigm. We have actually been given approval (within a limited
budget) to do the process.

The only reason is that I have persisted. Had I come and gone like so many of
us, as contractors do, then there would have been no change. It is a long term
plan, both sides have to commit to a process and management planning,
implementation and measurement system to ensure the system is established,
works and improves both quality and time while either reducing or mildly
changing the current cost structure.

So you must as a technical writer, have compelling arguments for the changes,
and you must have an accessible 'measurement to manage it' structure that our,
typically, ignorant managers can understand - in other words, you have to dumb
it down. Two decimal places and simple language. It took me a while, let me
tell you! But if I can do it, believe me, I'm no Einstein as you all know, then
you can do it too.

I have nearly left here a number of times due to budget and other issues,
however, the trick for me has been to be consistent and present rational
arguments over time.

You can only do that as long as you have the time period to achieve the
development of the internal network, build respect for the consistency of
delivery, and also understanding where the company needs and, CAN USE, the
technology we are talking about...

Regards,

Warren

CAUTION - This message may contain privileged and confidential information
intended only for the use of the addressee named above. If you are not the
intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that any use,
dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this message is prohibited. If
you have received this message in error please notify Siemens Ltd., ABN 98 004
347 880, or Siemens (NZ) Limited immediately.