atw: Re: Replacing Word (Long...)

  • From: Stuart Burnfield <slb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austechwriter <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 12:49:32 +0800 (WST)

Christine said:
> All the significant changes of 2007/10 have been to make it more
> user friendly for the average user.  Features that are important to
> high level niche users, such as master documents, cross references,
> mail merge and the like have not been touched since at least 2003
> and probably go back very much further.

What you say is generally true but master docs might be an exception. An
article in a reasonably reliable newsletter claims that MS 'rewrote the whole
codebase' for Word 2007. I posted the following to a few TW lists last year but
haven't heard that anyone has tried it out:

'According to this article, MS fixed the master document feature in Word 2007
and it now works. It's the first I've heard of it.

http://news.office-watch.com/t/n.aspx?articleid=1396&zoneid=12

"Don't be afraid - Word's Master Documents is stable and worth using.

Eventually Microsoft listened and rewrote the whole codebase to make it work
safely. However memories of master document disasters still linger and
Office-Watch.com is often asked if the feature is now safe. The answer is
yes..."

Has anyone done a substantial manual as a master doc in Word 2007 and lived to
tell the tale?'

Stuart