atw: Re: [OT] Writing for multiple Englishes: was writing for Aus audience

Hi Gary

I love that last story, great Friday humour.

Tracy

  Speaking of confusing Americans, I can't resist this story (it's Friday). I
was having a haircut in Indiana. Engaging in conversation with the hairdresser
we got talking about Christmas. After mentioning how it was often hot in Sydney
on Christmas day, I found myself having to explain a few basic astronomical
facts about the differences between the two hemispheres. She listened politely
and at the end said "Wow, so you Aussies have Christmas in June". There was no
more I could say.

  Garry Please consider our environment before printing this email.

        WARNING - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If
received in error, please delete and inform us by return email. Because emails
and attachments may be interfered with, may contain computer viruses or other
defects and may not be successfully replicated on other systems, you must be
cautious. Westpac cannot guarantee that what you receive is what we sent. If
you have any doubts about the authenticity of an email by Westpac, please
contact us immediately.

        It is also important to check for viruses and defects before opening or
using attachments. Westpac's liability is limited to resupplying any affected
attachments.

        This email and its attachments are not intended to constitute any form
of financial advice or recommendation of, or an offer to buy or offer to sell,
any security or other financial product. We recommend that you seek your own
independent legal or financial advice before proceeding with any investment
decision.

        Westpac Institutional Bank is a division of Westpac Banking
Corporation, a company registered in New South Wales in Australia under the
Corporations Act 2001 (Cth). Westpac is authorised and regulated in the United
Kingdom by the Financial Services Authority and is registered at Cardiff in the
United Kingdom as Branch No. BR 106. Westpac operates in the United States of
America as a federally chartered branch, regulated by the Office of the
Comptroller of the Currency.

        Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141.