atw: Re: (OT) Tassie Wilderness Trails

  • From: Allan Charlton <allancharlton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 12:35:38 +1000

Christine said
 > There has never been an EPA here
And when I made my statement about the Department of the Envirionment,
she said
 > So that's why the media is full of them creating one?

Maybe.  Talk to Michael Moore at The Mercury.

Perhaps the current government realises that moving environmental
control into the parks portfolio was a huge mistake.
Creating a new EPA might be their attempt to correct that mistake - or
paper over it.
The details are in that URL I posted:  http://www.environment.tas.gov.au/

A while back the NSW government said there was no air pollution in Sydney.
The fact is that they don't know - they cut EPA funds, so it's not measured.
What is the current condition of the Victorian EPA?  Does anyone know?
Does anyone care?

That's what I meant about blinkered eyes.  In Tasmania you expect to see
pristine forests, and when you see ex-forests you react.
In Sydney you expect to see nightclubs, so you ignore the photochemical
smog.  Melbourne is much the same.
But people - including me - do care about Tasmania.

Allan