atw: Re: No-one uses the help guide anyway!

  • From: "Allan Charlton" <Allan.Charlton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:42:58 +1100

> "In our experience, no-one actually uses the online Help anyway!"
Having been given this argument many times I did some informal research
of my own.  In that place I found *nobody* who denied using the Help.

What I found was people who said they used it occasionally but couldn't
remember what for; they had a problem, looked it up, and went on
working.  It wasn't an experience they remembered.

I was pleased with that.  If they had had difficulty using the Help, or
if it hadn't delivered the information they wanted, they *would*
remember.

We easily remember things we don't like, but we remember very few good
things.  Think about Word for a moment and you'll remember all its bad
features, but you probably won't think of even one of the many things it
does well.

Things that go smoothly just disappear into the background of life, and
that's the way technical documentation should be.  So when your manager
says that no-one uses the Help, take it as a compliment.   :-)

Allan
allancharlton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
allan.charlton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

confidential/privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient,
please delete it and notify the sender.
Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not
necessarily the views of the Department.

You should scan any attached files for viruses.