atw: Re: New Topic - How much of our expertise are we willing to pass on?

  • From: Bob Trussler <bob.trussler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 21:23:39 +1100

Dear Hackers,
A lot of Aust Govt contracts specify that I will pass on, train up, arrange
for permanant staff to take over and such.

I worked as a computer trainer for quite a while and few of my students are
now in senior positions.  Good on them.  I don't think that any of my tech
writing students, nor programmers I assisted,  have taken it on as a
full-time job.

Do other trainers have sleepless nights worrying about this?

Bob T

2009/3/25 <hackers@xxxxxxxxxxx>

>  Hi
>
> For 9 years I have been following the posts and in the first 6 of those I
> contributed often/occasionally. For a while (had a child, did part
> time/short term contracts/not dead yet) I read only.
>
> I have been reading all, but have been—not alarmed—but confused about who
> benefits/gains knowledge when some of the disussions grow into, what on line
> at least, DOES look abusive. We pride ourselves on being communicators ( I
> thought that what we did was broader then just the ability to create a
> flawless procedure or technical drawing.) Technology is great, BUT, for
> a really good discussion AND TO LEARN FROM EACH OTHER, does it work? Face to
> face I know can work. Why not, if there is a major disussion of interest,
> don't we say --- lets skip this any further on line, and get together in
> some cheapish place and discuss it face-to-face. I believe that this is
> still a better learning (exchange of ideas/knowledge/likes/dislikes .life
> experiences)/arguing environment than on-line.
>
> Anyway, I was going to ask what the professionals thought about trainiing
> others in thier workplaces, full time or contract in thier companies to at
> least recognise what communicatiion is and how to decide the best medium
> etc. How many of you would like the people you work with to be more skilled
> and how many would feel it to be a threat??
>
> I know that most of you are technical writers, but that is a hugely broad
> spectrum. How much of what you do is training your clients to maintain what
> you have created and move on?
>
> If some of your clients began to be more able, would you consider this a
> good thing OR a threat?
>
> Cheers
>
> Chris
>
> p.s: If anyone knows how to get the latest O/E to spell check English
> instead of French I would be very grateful.

Bob Trussler