atw: Re: New Topic - How much of our expertise are we willing to pass on?

> Technology is great, BUT, for a really good discussion AND TO
> LEARN FROM EACH OTHER, does it work? Face to face I know
> can work. Why not, if there is a major disussion of interest,
> don't we say --- lets skip this any further on line, and get
> together in some cheapish place and discuss it face-to-face.

If by technology you mean this list and online forums like it, I think they
work well.

95% of us live too far from each other to meet in person. There are sporadic
semi-social get-togethers in Perth and Brisbane, and the STC meetings in Sydney
and Melbourne, but in-between and for everyone else, austechwriters is it.

> If some of your clients began to be more able, would you
> consider this a good thing OR a threat?

A good thing. The more they know, the more efficiently we work together.

Also, I don't think my job is *so* simple that someone else can pick it up just
because I spend an hour talking them through it or give them a few pages of
notes.

Steve Jobs once said:

"A" people hire "A" people. "B" people hire "C" people.

He was talking about the fear of hiring someone who would outshine you, but it
also applies to training.

Stuart