atw: Re: Mouses??

  • From: Janice Gelb <Janice.Gelb@xxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 01:49:59 +1100

Ken Randall wrote:
I realise this is quite an old issue, but something occurred to
me literally ten minutes ago.

The issue is whether the plural of the mouse of a computer
should be "mice" or "mouses".

The plurals of "mouse" and "louse" are "mice" and "lice"
respectively.  The plural of "house", however, is not "hice".

[snip]

A computer mouse is so named because it resembles a
biological mouse in some respects.  However, it is
inanimate,  and hence "mouses" should be the correct
plural.

I'm coming late to this discussion and hope I'm not
adding any more fuel to a dying fire but our style is
to say neither mice nor mouses but "mouse devices."

-- Janice