atw: Re: Migrating user documentation online

  • From: Michael Bouy <michael.bouy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 15:29:12 +0930

Another option used by many companies is RoboHelp -
http://www.adobe.com/products/robohelp/

I've used it to convert very large user manuals to fully indexed, searchable
CHM help files. It requires strict adherence to Word stylesheet formats to
build the TOC, as I'm sure most other products would require as well. You
could include hyperlinks to video tutorials that are hosted on your server -
I'm not aware of software that will incorporate videos into the CHM.

Be aware when planning the project that you need to allow a number of days
(depending on the size of each document) to insert index entries in the
document, rigorously check the stylesheets in the document and make it
consistent, import your styles into Robohelp, compile test CHM files and
check the section breaks and headings, fix any stylesheet errors, recompile
and repeat until it is perfect.

Michael