atw: Re: Macquarie dictionary -- receival

  • From: "Michael Lewis" <mlewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 23:02:02 +1100

Terry D:

> Thanks to Rhonda, Michael G and Warren L.
>
> It's in a doc I'm updating. They include a 'Receival
> Inspection' of the goods.
>
> I did a google and found some 30k hits. Almost all of
> the early hits are Australian and tend to deal with
> grain and/or shipping. Maybe we Aussies have invented
> a new word. And as I recall, the grain receival bins
> were one of the biggest employers of vacation students
> not so long ago so it's probably fairly well accepted
> here.
>
> I'll change the term so our OS clients can't criticise
> our spelling.

Don't be too hasty. The word is well attested; the OED dates it to 1637.
It's perfectly well formed, by analogy with refusal, rebuttal, etc. I'm
sufficiently familiar with it that I was surprised by the question. So it's
certainly not an Australian coinage. I'm surprised that it doesn't appear in
the Macquarie Dictionary (though I don't have my own copy handy, and I'm
wondering whether other respondents have checked the Big Mac or merely one
of the smaller offspring).

Michael Lewis
Brandle Pty Limited
Sydney, Australia