atw: Re: Let's calm down, apologies, and other things

  • From: "Christine Kent" <cmkentau@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 18:55:32 +1100

Thanks for this Geoff.

Can I take it one step further?  We don't tend to use prefixes in the
subject, as other lists do, but I would like to introduce at least one that
is something like brainstorm (the naysayers will love BS as an abbreviation
for that).  At this stage in the lifecycle of any idea, "challenge" is
pointless.  You might actually be right that I didn't want to be
"challenged".

The rules of brainstorming are that you allow a free flow of ideas, from the
most sensible to the most radical on a given topic, to see where it goes.
No-one is actually allowed to challenge in a formal brainstorm because it
discourages creativity, honesty, trust and all those other warm fuzzy things
that are necessary for people to feel free to air their crazy ideas.

What I wanted when I started the topic (I realise in hindsight) was a
brainstorm - to see if anyone else spotted this, whether it something we
need to be thinking about, has someone seen something similar or related in
a different context etc, is there a picture building up?  Those who haven't
seen it or something related to it have no place in this discussion as all
they can do is say "you are wrong" which is counter-productive to the
purpose of the discussion. If no-one responds, you know that no-one else has
spotted this - research done, idea gets shelved for now.  On the other hand,
if lots of people respond with lots of ideas, you know something is afoot.

But please don't ask us to "craft [our] messages carefully, leaving no
ambiguity in place" as this also destroys free flow of communication,
spontaneity and creativity.  I have become right royally bored with putting
in endless maybes and mights when the whole topic is a maybe and a might.
They are a given when I start speculating and I simply won't do it.  My
personality and my style is to write freely with a ton of hyperbole.  That's
who I am and that's who I intend to stay.

More important, I think, is that we make the assumption that the other
person is intelligent, and we read everything they write from that position
of respect.  We also need to take a bit of notice of the personality behind
the name.  Once we did seem to know one another, even if we had not met.
The personality was able to come through the list, so everyone knew that I
talk in hyperbole, and Warren charges in, and Steve Hudson threw temper
tantrums, and Geoff intellectualises, and Michael makes jokes, etc, (I have
used names I can trust not to take offense), but that diversity of
personality seems to have been driven underground.

Let's get the fun back.

Christine