atw: Re: Internal Resource Map

  • From: Peter G Martin <peterm_5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 16:23:18 +1000

Bruce:

This certainly sounds:

a.) pretty impressive; and

b.) more practical than alternative suggestions I've seen mooted, simply because most others always seem to take a very big effort which usually gets stamped on from on high as being too expensive/time-consuming etc. etc

Still sounds like a deal of work is involved, but looks like it could be built up in stages...

Might see if I can try it as a way of finding where the hell I've put all my files on my system....

Meanwhile, one suggestion I might make for finding things on various systems and indexing them...

There's a combination of free tools called "locate" and "updatedb" (developed originally under Unix environments, but available also in Windows -- look for "locate32" ) which can index whole disks including network-linked drives (updatedb) in compressed databases and which then permits fast searching and listing of files.  It can handled different patterns (e.g. file types) as well as some regexes.

And you can give it a list of volumes etc to include in the search database, including network-mapped volumes.

The idea is you create a database using "updatedb" which locate then uses for searches. Ideally, you'd create an initial database and then schedule updatedb to do updates on a regular basis.  The tools can be run from the command line, so batch processing and scheduling is no great hassle.

I don't know of a way of getting locate to generate its output as CSV files (which would be nice for Excel output) and suspect it only spits out cr/lf line endings in Windows  so there's possibly a little extra manipulation needed there, but not a lot, considering.  (It'd be a one-liner in Perl and probably pretty easy in awk and a few other tools.)

-Peter M

-Peter M

************************************************** To view the austechwriter archives, go to www.freelists.org/archives/austechwriter To unsubscribe, send a message to austechwriter-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "unsubscribe" in the Subject field (without quotes). To manage your subscription (e.g., set and unset DIGEST and VACATION modes) go to www.freelists.org/list/austechwriter To contact the list administrator, send a message to austechwriter-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx **************************************************