atw: Re: Humbled

Nigel I like the way you express yourself.

From: austechwriter-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:austechwriter-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Dawes, Nigel
Sent: Tuesday, 9 September 2008 1:38 PM
To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: atw: Re: Humbled

My personal (and spiritual) definition of the word "humility" is, "to
honestly appraise one's own ability and accept one's own limits". I
should include the caveat that accepting one's own limits doesn't
necessarily mean one is confined by them, however. One should always
strive to transcend one's self (blah blah).  Humility is an excellent
character trait and is the cornerstone of inner peace. While admittedly
there are some standout sports stars who are genuinely humble (e.g.
Kelly Slater), they're few and far between and the term is applied far
too loosely IMO and the meaning is lost.

__________________________________
Commonwealth Bank

Nigel Dawes
Distributed Architecture

Enterprise IT Solutions
L13, 363 George Street
Sydney NSW 2000
T: (02) 8292 4435
E: nigel.dawes@xxxxxxxxxx <blocked::mailto:nigel.dawes@xxxxxxxxxx>

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 12:10:47 +1000
From: mdasilva@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Humbleness can provide a utilitarian good, ie provide a masking effect
that will benefit the individual who deploys this narrative in this way.
Being perceived as 'humble' reduces one's susceptibility to attack from
outside.

In real terms, however, it is unlikely that the person is actually
humble, especially if being required to 'step up to a new level'. Under
these conditions, 'real' humbleness will probably be more of a liability
than anything else.

IMHO ;)