atw: Re: How does one stop Word playing "Blankety Blanks"?

  • From: Michael Edward Granat <megranat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 15:09:45 +1100 (EST)

Well Bede (S)

First off, thanks for stepping in so quickly and making an
effort to help.

I'll answer your questions from within your post, as
follows:

Quoting SUNTER Bede <Bede_SUNTER@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Coupla questions Micky G:
>
> What SR of Weird 2-grand are you using?
Here it is Word 2000 (9.0.6926 SP-3)
But the problem has been pervasive, elsewhere on other Word
subversions(?)
> How are the odd-page section breaks being created in the first place?
Insert > Break...>(Break dialog) Section break types pane,
select (.)Odd page.
> How are you changing them to next-page section breaks?
Edit > Find... > Find what: ^b, then move down one line
below the break.  Then File > Page setup... > Layout tab >
Section start: (drop-down) New page.
Sped up by the following recorded macro, as doing so by
hand became very tedious and no more effective:
Sub sectbreakNP()
'
' sectbreakNP Macro
' Macro recorded 11/02/2005 by Michael E. Granat
'
    Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
    With Selection.Find
        .Text = "^b"
        .Replacement.Text = ""
        .Forward = True
        .Wrap = wdFindContinue
        .Format = False
        .MatchCase = False
        .MatchWholeWord = False
        .MatchWildcards = False
        .MatchSoundsLike = False
        .MatchAllWordForms = False
    End With
    Selection.Find.Execute
    Selection.MoveDown Unit:=wdLine, Count:=1
    With Selection.PageSetup
        .LineNumbering.Active = False
        .Orientation = wdOrientPortrait
        .TopMargin = CentimetersToPoints(3.16)
        .BottomMargin = CentimetersToPoints(2.5)
        .LeftMargin = CentimetersToPoints(3.2)
        .RightMargin = CentimetersToPoints(3.2)
        .Gutter = CentimetersToPoints(0)
        .HeaderDistance = CentimetersToPoints(1.3)
        .FooterDistance = CentimetersToPoints(1.3)
        .PageWidth = CentimetersToPoints(21)
        .PageHeight = CentimetersToPoints(29.7)
        .FirstPageTray = wdPrinterDefaultBin
        .OtherPagesTray = wdPrinterDefaultBin
        .SectionStart = wdSectionNewPage
        .OddAndEvenPagesHeaderFooter = False
        .DifferentFirstPageHeaderFooter = False
        .VerticalAlignment = wdAlignVerticalTop
        .SuppressEndnotes = False
        .MirrorMargins = True
        .TwoPagesOnOne = False
        .GutterPos = wdGutterPosLeft
    End With
End Sub

> The reason for the last question is:
> This problem occurred in W97 and may have persisted into W2k first
> releas=
> e. To convert an odd-page section break into a next-page section break,
> y=
> ou need to plonk your cursor somewhere in the section following the
> break=
Know that thanks.  It also stated this in the Word Help,
plus I checked the Working with sections article on the
Word MVP site @
<http://www.word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/WorkWithSections.htm>

> , then go File/Page setup/Layout and change 'Section start' from 'Odd
> pag=
> e' to 'New page'.=20
>
> Hope I'm neither telling you something you already know nor barking up
> th=
> e wrong inference.

Never mind. I really appreciate the thoughtfulness of your
post, even if it does offer me nothing new.

> Bede=20

<snippety-doo-dah!>

Sincerely,

Michael

Michael E. Granat
Qualified Good Tech Writer Dude
Fellowship Of The Ring Of Tech Writers, Yeah Baby!
T/as Write Ideas
E-mail: mailto:writeideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: <http://home.pacific.net.au/~megranat/>
Without Prejudice.