atw: Re: Help!! Word numbering Restart problem

  • From: James Hunt <jameshunt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 21:53:30 +1000

SEQ fields can get tedious in practice, because you must insert into every field the name of the sequence to which it belongs. The Figure and Table names are already defined, and you can define as many other sequences as you like - for example, Part_Number, Appendix, Code_Example, Graph, ... Leaving out the sequence name will lead to an error message.

ListNum fields are less tedious, because all the editing is done on the first field in the sequence, and the following fields take their properties from the first one. Insert a field with the standard command Ctrl+Alt+L. Alternatively, go to Tools>Commands, find the InsertListNumField command (something like that...), and drag it to a suitable toolbar. You can then just click on the new button to insert a ListNum field.

To define the field's properties, right-click on the field and select from the available options.

The option NumberDefault gives quite straightforward sequences like 1), 2), 3),...

The option LegalDefault is more interesting: the standard sequence is 1., 2., 3., ..., and by setting the sequence level to 2, it is possible to number sub-sequences like 2.1., 2.2., 2.3., ... without worrying about the individual components.

JH

On 17 Aug 2007, at 7:44 PM, Stuart Burnfield wrote:

If I understand correctly there are three numbering mechanisms--the Numbering button, suitable for memo writers; the Outline Numbering dialogs, suitable for Word MVPs and Dr Who; and SEQ fields, suitable for tech writers. Mixing any two of these methods in one document seems to be a recipe for unhappiness.

Given this, I wonder why MS doesn't have toolbar buttons (and perhaps also supply built-in list para styles) that insert these SEQ fields. In other words, combine the simple, visible method for applying numbering with the stable, predictable mechanism for implementing numbering.

Stuart

To search the austechwriter archives, go to www.freelists.org/ archives/austechwriter

To contact the list administrator, send a message to austechwriter- admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx