atw: Re: Great Mate vs Gr8 M8 (very long and philosophical)

  • From: "Christine" <christine_kent@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:11:49 +1000

Ning is the grown-up facebook - if that is not a contradiction in terms.

I told you I was struggling with the language to communicate the concepts.
So please understand that I am not broadcasting at you from a point of
certainty, but attempting to collaborate in a discussion to bring light on a
relatively unformulated feeling that I am (and incidentally many grown-ups
on Ning are) grappling with.

For a start, I think we differ on the meaning of the words "communication"
and "structure".

Communication to me has to involve some kind of heart space, some kind of
loaded meaning in every word and/or some kind of change of state as a result
of the communication.  I think you are using it to mean telling people about
you, and listening to stories others are telling about themselves.  For you
it is an exchange of stories, for me it results in a changed state of being.

Structure to me is more than boxes.  If I have a box of post-it notes, and a
box of illustrations - that is a degree of structure - everything is in
boxes.  But there is no relationship between each of the items in each box,
and no relationship between the boxes.  So perhaps I am really talking about
relationships.

I think your comment, "pages... are constructed by a user specifically to
reflect that user's interests and
network connections" does support my point about I-centred communication -
everyone is telling their own story of "I".

Your comment, "we must be aware though of the distinction between the
capability of the application and its presumed limitations (being subjective
to each user's imagination)" may or may not be true.  If you look at
LearningTown (http://learningtown.ning.com/) and ContentWrangler
(http://thecontentwrangler.ning.com/ ), you will see really good topics
dying without reaching any outcome or conclusion - they run out of energy
and do not bring about any changed state. I am part of several other groups
on Ning, trying to make it do what we want it to do - so far without much
joy.

I would hate to see these mailing lists all get gobbled up into Ning,
because they can do what Ning can't.

Christine