atw: Re: Great Mate vs Gr8 M8

  • From: Peter Martin <peterm_5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:46:15 +1000

Caz.H:
On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:15:20 +1000,  you wrote:
> Try doing all of those things WITHOUT your thumbs.  Try doing MOST things=
 without your
> thumbs.
> Eg, morning ablutions:  brush teeth, wash with soap, go to toilet, tie=
 shoes, pull up
> trousers, put on belt, pour rice bubbles & milk into bowl, eat rice=
 bubbles with spoon,
> open front door (deadlock door), take train ticket out to validate at=
 station, and so
> on, and so on.

Oh Caz, you old heartbreaker you...

You tempt me, truly you tempt me, to suggest further things to try with your=
 thumb which are supposed to be impossible.
But that would not be worthy. I won't go there.

Yep, the uses of the thumb are multitudinous.  (Although many of things you=
 mention prove to be possible for hundreds and thousands of people who've=
 lost limbs -- often with the help of the brain, which is  limited as=
 something you can't brush your teeth with.)

And the uses of the sexual organs are actually fairly limited, albeit hugely=
 important to the survival of the race.

So there are limits with all these things. I can't pick up an axe with my=
 eye, or use a spoon with it, either.  Is the eye therefore not something of=
 major genetic advantage to the race ?  Is it not something of huge=
 advantage but limited in terms of what you can do with it ?

This is not a case of thumb-discrimination on my part, I assure you !  =
 (DON'T, Micky !)

At least we're not trolling through Michael's prose trying to solve the=
 deeper mysteries of the human race and / or psyche or whatever...

--Peter M