atw: Re: Glossaries

  • From: Michael Edward Granat <megranat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 14:11:25 +1100

Well, Jill (N)

In all of my recent templates that I have developed for various customers,
my Glossary sections have gone something like this.

10      Glossary
This section defines the task and industry specific terms and abbreviations
used in this document.
Where all such terms and abbreviations in this document are expected to be
common knowledge among the members of its defined Intended Audience, the
following tables may be left blank.

(The latter sentence, which is just an instruction for the future author /
template user, can be in a hidden text style so that it does not display in
the published, finished document.)

Then I usually have a Words & Terms table, followed by an Abbreviations table.

I also call the "heading 1" styles in the section header with a {styleref
"heading 1" \* MERGEFORMAT} field.

Sometimes I even include a Glossary of the application icons in a table,
with the icon in the left hand column and the description, purpose,
function, and an example of what it does in the right hand columns.  Where
this approach becomes too page consuming for comfort, I separate this
glossary of application icons to a separate appendix.

How does that approach sound?

Regards,

Michael Granat
Write Ideas

At 12:05 24/2/2005, you wrote:
>How many people do not put a header on a glossary?
>I have tried many terms for the abbreviations/objects/whatevers and the
>explanation/description/whatever and find none of these words fit comfortably.
>I like to do a no-header glossary as it is really quite obvious what is
>going on, but the client always seems to want some type of header.
>I know it depends on the content - this time I am talking an IT service
>system.
>Jill Nicholson
>N&H Communications
>2 Park Ave
>ROSEVILLE,  NSW 2069
>61+2+94174302
>jpnicho@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>www.nhcommunications.com.au

Michael E. Granat
Qualified Good Tech Writer Dude
Fellowship Of The Ring Of Tech Writers, Yeah Baby!
T/as Write Ideas
E-mail: mailto:writeideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: <http://home.pacific.net.au/~megranat/>
Without Prejudice.