atw: Re: Friday Humour Forwarding: The Stella Awards

  • From: MHT <runfox@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 18:19:06 -0600

Thank you for posting this Stuart.  I am very familiar with the "truth"
behind the <corporate sponsored> media blitz to make a mockery of a
perfectly legitimate case.  I have been privy to the facts, coming straight
from the mouth of the behaviorist who testified at the McDonalds <coffee
spill> trial. Historians refer to this as "primary source".  When I have
more time and my keyboard space bar is fixed, I will fill in the REAL
story. Suffice to say that  I have boycotted "McCon-ald's" ever since.
Please keep in mind; there are a lot of dollars being thrown at a
large-scale effort to render the tort laws useless.  Truly "frivolous"
lawsuits generally do not make it past the discovery stages and certainly
not past the hearing. Judges have neither the time nor the inclination to
fill up precious court time with a case that does not warrant being heard.
Those who would profit from weakened tort laws would very much like us to
believe otherwise, and are doing an excellent job of creating the
appearance of a blitz of frivolous cases where none exist.
Having had specialized training and having worked in the area of warnings
and instructions as it pertains to the tort law, I am only too well aware
of the lengths to which some companies will go to avoid their
responsibility to the public.  They would be far more profitable if they
were not held accountable.  For far too many, profit and the bottom line
means a great deal more than human life.  Even with the tort laws in place,
they would still rather risk a death or personal injury lawsuit than change
their ways.  Contrary to the popular thinking, the lawsuits do not happen
that often and until they get well and truly nailed, it's cheaper to take
the risk.
MN Mary

At 09:02 AM 3/5/04 +0800, you wrote:

>Dear oh dear, not this again. Didn't any new bogus people instigate bogus
>law suits this year?
>http://www.stellaawards.com/bogus.html
>
>---
>Stuart Burnfield
>Information Developer
>Australian Programming Centre

>To search the austechwriter archives, go to
>
>To contact the list administrator, send a message to

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments
that take our breath away."
        --unknown