atw: Re: Fields of Tech Communication

  • From: "nigeldawes" <nigel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:25:42 +1100

Good point, Pete--i.e. it all depends on the company
you work for... I've been made redundant in perm.
possies a couple of times, so I guess I'm wrong when I
say that permanent jobs are more secure. I think the
most important aspect about ensuring your longevity in
the field is keeping up to date with technologies etc.

Have a tops day!

Friendly Regards
Nigel

From: "nigeldawes" nigel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 08:06:49 +1100
To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Hi Gang
>
> I'm wondering how many contractors out there have a
> mortgage and/or own a nice car? If you've got no
> financial commitments, then contracting sounds great.
> But, security and stability are for me... More to the
> point though, I really enjoy the relationships and
> intimacy that are forged during a long period of
> working with the same people.
>
> Merry Christmas!
> Nigel

And
> luck and timing seem to always have a lot to do with
> it.
>
> I've been contracting for the 3 yrs or so since we
> worked together and certainly the first year was the
> hardest in terms of the amount of work picked up. But
> since then I've never really felt like going back to
> permanent job. You get much more attuned to selling
> your services as a business; and this is how I treat
> it. You can certainly make a decent living out of it
> (In the last two years I have easilly earned twice
the
> salary I was on 3yrs ago). Although I suspect the
> disparity between contract rates and salaried jobs is
> diminishing (my current position - as a contractor -
> has just been advertised as a full time job at 85000
> for example) and contract rates haven't really moved
in
> 3 yrs.
>
> I don't find the constant looking for work a drag. In
> my experience this aspect is actually much less
> stressful than job seeking when a permanent. Two
> reasons: a) you do it alot, so you get good at it
(you
> have to!) and, b) you do it alot so you know that
your
> whole world is not reliant on you getting that
> "specific" job and that another "possible" is just
> around the corner. You accept rejection much more
> happily and move on quickly (like about 3 seconds).
>
> I know many people on this list have had the
experience
> of suddenly being out of work whether they had a
> permanent or a contract job. And certainly,
contractors
> are universally better equipped to handled those
times
> when they do occur (simply because of their constant
> experience of applying for work).
>
> Of course you really need to be set up financially to
> cover the down times as well as the possible extended
> down times. But is this really any different to
having
> a permanent job?
>
> Pete

considering
> a work change.
> > Over the years I have been mainly working in a
series
> of permanent
> > positions for both IT and non-IT orgnisations. I
have
> been in my
> > current position for two years. I seems that after
> couple of years in
> > an orgnisation, the profile and worth of the
> technical writer is much
> > less than it was at the beginning. When I commence
> new job there is
> > usually much appreciation that at last there is
> someone who can actually
> > write to take over all those pesky documents and
Help
> projects. After a
> > year or two the core system, online and procedure
> documents have been
> > written and (in my experience) the writer goes into
> "maintenance" mode.
> > This means that you are no longer seen as an
> important asset to the
> > company. As was so innocently put to me by my boss
> last week, "In our
> > experience, no-one actually uses the online Help
> anyway!" After all
> > documentation does not actually generate revenue
for
> the business like
> > programming or project management does!
> >
> > My question actually is, how difficult is it to
> actually make a decent
> > living out of contract work? At the moment, it
> certainly looks more
> > appealing to me than dealing with another lot of
> patronising,
> > unappreciative ....need I say more... set of
bosses.
> My problem is
> > that when I am looking for work, I panic and accept
> permanent job and
> > its security because the thought of starving does
not
> appeal much
> > either. Those of you contractors, do you find the
> constant job search a
> > real grind or do the benefits outweigh the
negatives
> of a permanent
> > position?
> > Ilana
> austechwriter-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "subscribe"
in
> the Subject field.
> >
> > To unsubscribe, send a message to
> austechwriter-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with
"unsubscribe"
> in the Subject field.
> >
> > To search the austechwriter archives, go to
> www.freelists.org/archives/austechwriter
> >
> > To contact the list administrator, send a message
> austechwriter-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
in
> the Subject field.
>
> To unsubscribe, send a message to
> austechwriter-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with
"unsubscribe"
> in the Subject field.
>
> To search the austechwriter archives, go to
> www.freelists.org/archives/austechwriter

> austechwriter-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

in