atw: Re: Dinosaurs and punctuation

  • From: Bob Trussler <bob.trussler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 15:58:46 +1000

The technique of controlling the conversation by talking through a break
between sentences was used by John Howard.
He would increase volume, increase speed and leave no gap at a sentence
break.  Then he would return to a steady speed and volume for the sentence
After I realised what he was doing, I found this trick distracting and

Bob T

On 6 April 2011 18:19, Stuart Burnfield <slb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Christine said:
> > This newsreader was putting all her pauses in the wrong place.
> > She would run-on at the end of sentences with no pause at all,
> > and put short or long pauses in the middle of clauses.
> I've noticed people do this when they don't want to give up control of the
> conversation. Pausing at the end of a sentence would allow someone else to
> jump in and start speaking. Instead they ramble in the middle of the
> sentence with little pauses while they think how to finish this sentence but
> also how to barrel on into a new sentence.
> This shouldn't apply to a newsreader unless it's a force of habit.
> Maybe she doesn't quite have the hang of the autocue?
> Stuart
> go to
> austechwriter-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bob Trussler