atw: Re: Dinosaurs and punctuation

Stuart,
The technique of controlling the conversation by talking through a break
between sentences was used by John Howard.
He would increase volume, increase speed and leave no gap at a sentence
break.  Then he would return to a steady speed and volume for the sentence
itself.
After I realised what he was doing, I found this trick distracting and
annoying.

Bob T

On 6 April 2011 18:19, Stuart Burnfield <slb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Christine said:
> > This newsreader was putting all her pauses in the wrong place.
> > She would run-on at the end of sentences with no pause at all,
> > and put short or long pauses in the middle of clauses.
>
> I've noticed people do this when they don't want to give up control of the
> conversation. Pausing at the end of a sentence would allow someone else to
> jump in and start speaking. Instead they ramble in the middle of the
> sentence with little pauses while they think how to finish this sentence but
> also how to barrel on into a new sentence.
>
> This shouldn't apply to a newsreader unless it's a force of habit.
>
> Maybe she doesn't quite have the hang of the autocue?
>
> Stuart

> austechwriter-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bob Trussler
Phone  0418 661 462