atw: Re: Correct usage conundrum: "Match to" vs "Match with"

It’s tricky. There have been recent trends in school to have less emphasis on
spelling and grammar and more on getting the meaning across. There are problems
with this. Firstly, where does one draw the line? Secondly, and perhaps more
importantly, the poor spelling, usage and grammar was so infuriating some
people, including prospective employers, that it was getting in the way of the
message. Some school teachers I know are now insisting on at least correct
spelling.

I was given a copy of a major bank’s “documentation standards” when I started a
contract with them. In the usage section, there were a number of things that
were incorrect, but, they were paying the bills, so I rolled over. If in doubt,
do what the client wants.

This issue isn’t just confined to English. I was in Singapore a few years ago
and there were posters all over the place (in English) “Speak Mandarin, not
dialect”.

Commonwealth Bank
Chris Virtue
Process Documentation
Group Property
Level 3, 120 Pitt St
Sydney
P: 02 9312 3928
M: 0413 189 976
E: chris.virtue@xxxxxxxxxx
Our vision is to be Australia's finest financial services organisation through
excelling in customer service.

From: Brian Clarke <brianclarke01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Only the Macq uses the media as an arbiter of correct usage. I use the media as
Aunt Sallies at which to throw shies.

Matched 'against' is another possibility - as in sports contests.

Brian.

________________________________
Yahoo!7: Catch-up on your favourite Channel 7 TV shows easily, legally, and for
free at PLUS7. Check it
out<http://au.rd.yahoo.com/tv/catchup/tagline/*http:/au.tv.yahoo.com/plus7/?cmp=mailtag>.

************** IMPORTANT MESSAGE *****************************
This e-mail message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains
information which may be
confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient please advise the sender by return email,
do not use or
disclose the contents, and delete the message and any attachments from your
system. Unless
specifically indicated, this email does not constitute formal advice or
commitment by the sender
or the Commonwealth Bank of Australia (ABN 48 123 123 124) or its subsidiaries.
We can be contacted through our web site: commbank.com.au.
If you no longer wish to receive commercial electronic messages from us, please
e-mail by typing Unsubscribe in the subject line.