atw: Re: Copyright - legislation

  • From: Peter Sanders <psanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 13:35:03 +0800

Hi Petra

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 15:15:18 +1100, Petra Liverani <petsky@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
>> While the legislation may be in the public domain, this does not mean
>> you
>> can automatically use another person's or company's hard work in
>> gathering, collating, scanning, cleaning and overall creative ability,
>> without permission!
>
> I don't know what your definition of public domain is.

My uderstanding of public domain is the same as yours. However I think you
misunderstood my earlier post. While you have the public domain right to
use public domain material. This DOES NOT extend to the use of someone
else's work ie effort or labour in creating something ie a pdf file that
CONTAINS public domain material.

So, while the information within the pdf file may be public domain, the
pdf file itself may not. I would think that this is now dependant on
whether the public domain "author" is the same body that released the
public domain pdf file, if so then my point is moot anyway :-)

Personally I think it would be wise to check on the use/reuse of the pdf
file is a copyright work.

--
Kind regards

Peter