atw: Re: Copyright - legislation

  • From: "HALL Bill" <bill.hall@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 16:21:15 +1100 (EDT)

Peter isn't the one wasting time here - the original request was a simple q=
uery for information on how to process text to make it accessible for searc=
h macros.

There are useful aspects to the copyright discussion (we are currently tryi=
ng to manage this in an R&D project agreement), but don't jump on the origi=
nal requester because the quibblers have been having a field day about issu=
es that some of them don't seem to know a lot about.

Bill Hall

Documentation Systems Analyst
Head Office, Engineering
Tenix Defense
Williamstown, Vic. 3016
Phone: 03 9244 4820
Email:bill.hall@xxxxxxxxx

Honorary Research Fellow
Knowledge Management Lab
School of Information Management & Systems
Monash University
Caulfield East, Vic. 3145
Phone: 03 9903 1883
Email: william.hall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
=20

|=20
|=20
| Actually if something is 'in the public domain', it may be used by all
| and sundry.
|=20
| My brother manages some small regional newspapers and he often finds
| that the 'his stories', i.e. stories that his newspaper or journalists
| have unearthed, are often on the local regional TV stations.  The
| newspaper receives no credit and there is nothing that he can=20
| do legally
| (and yes, this was confirmed by the newspapers' legal eagles), because
| the story is now 'in the public domain'
|=20
| Finally, would it not be easier to phone the relevant=20
| parliament (or if
| o/seas legislation, then its' representative in Oz) to clarify if you
| can use it rather than wasting everyone's time over it??
|=20
|=20
| > While the legislation may be in the public domain, this=20
| does not mean=20
| > you can automatically use another person's or company's=20
| hard work in=20
| > gathering, collating, scanning, cleaning and overall=20
| creative ability,
|=20
| > without permission!
|=20
| I don't know what your definition of public domain is. I=20
| thought a work
| in the public domain meant that it could be freely used by anyone
| without asking permission - that doesn't mean it shouldn't be
| acknowledged - there's a difference between passing something off as
| your own or using it with acknowledgement. I could quote huge=20
| tracts of
| Henry James without paying a copyright fee but I wouldn't=20
| want to try to
| say I wrote them myself. In the case of leglisation, its source is the
| most significant aspect to it, so people are hardly not going to
| acknowledge it. Besides, who'd want to take credit for the writing of
| most legislation?
|=20
| Regards,
| Petra
|=20
| with "unsubscribe" in the Subject field.
|=20
| To search the austechwriter archives, go to
| www.freelists.org/archives/austechwriter
|=20
| To contact the list administrator, send a message to
| austechwriter-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
| **************************************************
|=20
| --=20
| This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by
| MailScanner, and is believed to be clean.
|=20
|=20
| --=20
| This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous=20
| content by MailScanner, and is believed to be clean.
|=20
| Subject field.
|=20