atw: Re: Copyright - legislation

  • From: "Petra Liverani" <petsky@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 15:15:18 +1100

Hi Peter,

> While the legislation may be in the public domain, this does not mean you
> can automatically use another person's or company's hard work in
> gathering, collating, scanning, cleaning and overall creative ability,
> without permission!

I don't know what your definition of public domain is. I thought a work in
the public domain meant that it could be freely used by anyone without
asking permission - that doesn't mean it shouldn't be acknowledged - there's
a difference between passing something off as your own or using it with
acknowledgement. I could quote huge tracts of Henry James without paying a
copyright fee but I wouldn't want to try to say I wrote them myself. In the
case of leglisation, its source is the most significant aspect to it, so
people are hardly not going to acknowledge it. Besides, who'd want to take
credit for the writing of most legislation?

Regards,
Petra