atw: Re: Copyright - legislation

  • From: Peter Sanders <psanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 10:28:23 +0800

Hi Petra

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:54:54 +1100, Petra Liverani <petsky@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>> There may be many copyright (infringement) considerations here if you
>> are (as I would trust that you are not) disassembling the creative work
>> of
>> others and reusing the information in another form.  Check for
>> disclaimers
>> in the document and its properties information, first.
>

> Michael,
>
> I would assume that legislation is in the public domain and not subject
> copyright but I don't really know about these matters so I could be
> totally
> wrong.

While the legislation may be in the public domain, this does not mean you
can automatically use another person's or company's hard work in
gathering, collating, scanning, cleaning and overall creative ability,
without permission!

Public domain information can obviously be used by the public. You have
the ability to create the "collective works" yourself from the original
public domain source - that of course could very well be in electronic
form.

Consider how you would feel if you spent weeks gathering, collating,
scanning and cleaning up YOUR overall creation only to have someone else
just "download it" and use it for their own purposes sans permission :-)

Kind regards

Peter