atw: Re: Copyright - legislation

It is safer to never assume such things, Petra (Liverani).

Having been to the excellent talk on electronic copyright, given at an ASTC
(Vic.) Inc. meeting a while ago, failing to know or failing to check is no
excuse under the (copyright) law.

There are (limited) exemptions for educational institution and governmental
use.

It is best to seek the written permission of the author or publisher /
department and make no alterations (textual or electronic) to the original
material.

Altering legal material (the formatting of which is very specialized) in
any way for distribution could also mean entering a legal minefield.

Just keep in mind that, had Pandora's Box had a copyright disclaimer on the
lid, all might have been well.

Cheers,

Michael Granat
Write Ideas