atw: Re: Contract opportunity - things that make me mad!!!

  • From: "BJA" <bashley@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:04:25 +1000

Hi Louise,

We all do what we have to do, but when does a rate become too low too
accept? $25.00 p/h? How about $20.00? Would you even accept $15.00 per hour?

If the answer is yes, then perhaps a change of career would be better.

I understand the need to eat but by continually accepting these low rates,
you and others make it harder to pay the bills in the long term and ALL
technical writers suffer as a result (even if many are unaware of it).

For example, I've just gone through a pay review where our salary ranges are
determined by the 'industry' and the figures are fed directly from agencies
surveys.

Each year, it becomes harder to justify MY salary because of the low rates
accepted by some and this will continue until there is some type of skills
accreditation so that apples can be compared to apples.

Until then ... $33 p/h? This is an entry level rate. If you see yourself as
this, then go for it.

My 0.05 as usual.

Cheers,

Bruce Ashley