atw: Re: Clone vs Clone

  • From: Peter G Martin <peter.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Nikki Ward <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 06:55:58 +1000

Nikki:
On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 18:25:06 +1000,  you wrote:
> Hi there...
>
> Here's tricky one for y'all.
>
> I am presently writing a user manual for a Linux version of
> 'Ghost'.. and I am battling with a 'Clone' concept
>
> I have to explain to the user that they can 'clone' a machine
> (as in COPY the entire contents of a machine's hard disk drive)
> versus they can also make clones from the 'cloned image' (As
> in make a new machine based on the image that has been cloned
> from another machine)

One way or another, it is probably important for your readers
to understand that the "ghosting"  is not the same as "copying" in the
sense that most computer users might understand that latter term.

(If you use a "COPY" or "cp"  or "mv" command to get data from one disk to
another,
your chances of getting an identical second disk are miniscule, as you
know.  So there's a different concept involved.)

This is why (as you may have gathered from a side thread) I don't see
a great problem with using a term like 'clone' in this context.    Nor do
I see any great problem in referring to a "Ghosted image"....   these are
terms which system administrators have been using for some years,
so they are already terms which are part of the language in one tribal
group anyway..

But I have the impression your difficulty arises from the further
propagation of cloned images ...   So one solution is to jump in
whole-heartedly and start talking about second and third generations or
generational images.     Would that help ?

In any event, propagation, replication and reproduction are all there
as terms that I'd have no problem using in this context.  Except for one
thing... the nice thing about "clone" is that it's got one syllable.
All good techies should value that.

And of course, all clones are the same in the dark ... :-)

Like ghosts.

So there you are...

HTH

--Peter M