atw: Re: Clone vs Clone

* Nikki Ward (ezistep@xxxxxxxxxxx) écrivit:

> (The program actually refers to a 'Breeder CD-ROM' - perhaps I might follow
> that through and produce
> as someone said, our own lexicon.. nah, only joking about the lexicon)... but
> more sensibly, use the 'Breeder CD-ROM to breed clones'  ...does that sound
> confusing to anyone?

There is another dimension that may be relevent.
Will your manual:
a) be used in places where the users have English as a second language, or
b) be translated into another language?

In the first case, the metaphor could fail completely where the
reader has only the narrow vocabulary of his or her speciality. In
the second case, the extra effort and inspiration required of the
translator to localise the metaphor may not be available.

Reg

Reginald Hardman        Reginald Hardman
Rédacteur Technique     Technical Writer
Paris                   Paris, France
           zutalors@xxxxxxxx

austechwriter-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx