atw: Re: Change of collective noun use - why?

  • From: "Geoffrey" <geoffrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 20:23:38 +1100

. and then again there  are collective nouns that have always taken a plural
verb. We typically say "Police are attending the scene", not "Police is
attending the scene". Likewise, "There are cattle in the field" and "Vermin
are under the house".

There seems to be few so-called rules of English grammar that do not admit
of exceptions. So perhaps we should shift our focus from "rules being
broken" to "rules trying to be discerned in acceptable, idiomatic usage".
The so-called rules of grammar are like mathematical equations that
scientists try to fit to a not unruly, but still not tidy, set of data
points. A parabola might fit nicely . except for a few outliers; a verb and
subject should agree . except for first-person and second-person pronouns
(and so on). I before e except after c except . After how many exceptions
and qualifications does  a rule cease being  a rule?

Rules follow usage; they will never dictate usage. Users will do their own
thing (as is their right), which is why we no longer speak or write in the
manner of Geoffrey Chaucer. And why those in the twenty-fourth century will
no doubt struggle to understand what we are writing today.

Those who seek to control language should first consider the labours of
Sisyphus.

Cheers

Geoffrey Marnell

Principal Consultant