atw: Re: Can you have Office 2007 installed at the same time as Office 2003 (and different instances running concurrently)?

  • From: "Lewington, Warren J (WT)" <warren.lewington.ext@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 01:07:29 -0400

You can have one of two configuration types with regards to Office 2007
and 2003.

There is a registry level change required to run them efficiently
concurrently, which apparently creates separate instances of the
offending dlls that otherwise conflict or something like that -
definitely to run them seamlessly you need to edit the registry.
Information is available from a variety of sources, (Woodys Office Watch
is one who explored that ad infinitum as they sometimes do).
Occasionally, as Christine has found you may not need to do that.

The other option which I have done is have both versions of the software
but I don't need to run them concurrently. I don't care about the
Outlook overwrite if indeed that happened so have never checked; I only
need either 2007 or 2003 programs. In fact I may have loaded just the
relevant programmes I needed in any case. Don't remember. Anyway, you
can run one or other version of 2003 or 2007 individually without
problems on the one machine.

Word does seem to work better at matching table and paragraph styles
although the separate selection functions for tables and styles and
formatting in 2007 is a difference. PowerPoint is a different beast.

Regards,

Warren