atw: Re: Audience Analysis

  • From: "Michelle Hallett" <michelle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 12:00:23 +1100

I clearly need to look some more at Google tools (thanks for the link,
Peter).

Christine, I think the corporate environment has not realized (sorry,
English US keeps reasserting itself on my Outlook) the need to collect this
data. A lot of job ads still want a writer with a background in engineering
or IT, which indicates to me that many out there think writing is still a
'transparent' skill. By this I mean that it is believed that writing is
nothing more than what we learned to do at school (and some are better at it
than others). We should be acting as advocates for writing as a professional
skill and recommending to the management that this type of data should be
collected to make the tools we produce more effective and better for the
customer. Unfortunately very few of us are high enough in the company
structure to have this kind of influence and I think many of us still think
of ourselves as primarily engineers or IT professionals. I realize I'm
straying into declarative speech here so I should emphasize that this is my
opinion.

Michelle

  _____