atw: Re: Audience Analysis

  • From: Peter Martin <peterm_5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 15:14:24 +1100

Christine Kent wrote:

> I clearly
> need to look some more at Google tools (thanks for the link, Peter).
>

> Ditto, thanks.

Following up on that stuff,   and something which connects with the problem of helping users find what they want....

See the Juice  Analytics site for some applications built on top of Google Analytics API..  In particular, it'd be lovely to have the Keyword Tree, which can trace the search words and combinations of search words used on a site. ... could be particularly useful for diagnosing why users miss key parts of your docs, if they're looking for the wrong keys.      Then, with something like the Webworks indexing tool that lets you define synonyms, you can redirect search "misses" to reach the correct spot.... and maybe make the Support people grateful that you thought of them.

I'm starting to think the Google people are about the only ones who have even started some forward thinking in this area.   Someone's going to tell me I'm wrong (it'd be nice to know there's competition in this area) but so far I haven't seen other "non-linear" thinking sites willing to consider new approaches in these areas.

Meanwhile, some of the similarity and matrix grouping tools (even in similar graphics) look like they could open up whole new areas too.

-Peter G. Martin,
Technical writer
Home: +61 2 66555783
[30:31:19S 153:01 E] (gray roof) [Look for the google earth pics]

************************************************** To view the austechwriter archives, go to www.freelists.org/archives/austechwriter To unsubscribe, send a message to austechwriter-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "unsubscribe" in the Subject field (without quotes). To manage your subscription (e.g., set and unset DIGEST and VACATION modes) go to www.freelists.org/list/austechwriter To contact the list administrator, send a message to austechwriter-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx **************************************************