atw: Re: Arbortext Epic with Style compared with Structured FrameMaker

  • From: "Peter Rule" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 09:55:12 +1100

I've never had to decide between one and the other; but the big difference has
to be cost.

Arbortext costs a fortune and really seems to be the type of tool you would use
if you were on a huge project building a 747.

Alternatively, for a single Frame licence you get a very powerful structured
environment that will do what you want (ie hard copy and online help) to
varying degrees (the online help will need some added extras to make it work).

The nature of structured authoring means that whatever tool you use there is a
large amount of work in setting it up to work the way you want it to work.
I've experience in designing Frame DTD/EDD and it is alot of fun; very
challenging indeed.  I've no idea about Arbortext in this regard; but it
wouldn't surprise me if you needed to get in an Arbortext consultant to set it
up for you.

> Migrating legacy unstructured FrameMaker
>       Tools and aids in either environment
>       Difficulty in migrating legacy content -- quality of migration aids

It all depends on your existing docs.  Frame has a reasonable conversion
process built in (it will basically convert a format and wrap it in an element,
and you can structure this depending on context) but whatever you do the end
result will require manual processing to get the structure exactly as you would
want.

I've no doubt that this would apply regardless of the tool you choose; don't
believe anyone who tells you otherwise.

> Installing and implementing chosen solution
>       Installation of clients, servers and licencing scheme
>       Degree of integration, i.e. need lots of plugins for acceptable
> functionality?
>       Configuring installation, including user accounts or other access
> requirements
>       Total cost of ownership, viz. purchase, implementation and running
> costs over five years

Frame is pretty straight forward.  Simple client installation.  The structure
application requires a number of pointer files (DTD, EDD, and a few others) to
be set up but once it is done, it is done.

> Designing templates -- DTDs or schemas, stylesheets, workflows
>       Capabilities of design tools  -- graphical views v. text

As above.  If you used Frame, the EDD will dictate the design of the hard copy.
 In terms of online this depends.  You will need another process to take your
XML into HTML.  I've used mif2Go to simply convert the frame doc (this is a
cheap and friendly way to do it),  I've also used xslt to process the xml into
html (this is harder - you need to know xslt - but is more robust and one less
middleware).  I imagine this will depend on your tech requirements.

> Authoring environment
>       Structure view, ease of restructuring, guided editing
>       Find and replace with reg exps
>       Multiple dictionaries
>       Error checking and project management

This is easy to answer.  Your writers will hate using structured frame when
they start out.  It can be frustrating and annoying.  Then .... they will love
it.  This will happen.

> Conditioned content (condition formats, profiles)
>       Creating condition formats/profiles
>       Applying conditioned formats/profiles, and visual indication
>       Support for ORing and ANDing of overlapped conditions
>       Hierarchical conditions

I imagine this would be difficult; I've no direct experience in setting this
up.  You would need to be using the Frame built in conditional text - not sure
about this one.

> Generating output -- on-line help and printed documentation
>       Ease of setup
>       Supported help formats
>       Setting up print and PDF output
>       Ease of switching from one type of output to another

As above.  For frame, PDF is simple.  The online help requires additional
process; but not necessarily complex.

> Content management
>       'Book' control file for managing component files -- chapters,
> appendices, TOCs, etc.
>             (Actually, we would like granularity at the topic level)
>       Alternative books with different combinations of components in
> different sequences

Structured Frame book control is no different to unstructured.  You can have
either a structured book in xml or leave this unstrutured and have a frame book
and simply add chapter docs.  Granularity at the topic level is more complex,
sorry but I've not had experience with frame doing this. I've always worked at
a chapter/book level.

> Raindrops on roses, And warm woollen mittens
>       What's best and worst about Structured FrameMaker?
>       What's best and worst about Epic with Styler?
>       Any major gotchas to be wary of, e.g. Unicode support?

Best about Structured frame is its robustness, ease of use and flexibility
(personally, I just loved designing the DTD/EDD and making it work).
Worst about Structured frame is trying to convince non-believers of its value
and trying to explain that the reason it doesn't work like Word is one one of
its great advantages.