atw: Re: Anyone tried Microsoft anti-spyware?

  • From: Michael Edward Granat <megranat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 11:29:53 +1100 (EST)

What can I say, Allan (C)?

I always thought that the simplest way to avoid installing
any spyware was to avoid installing any Microsloth
slothware at all.

In fact, I once rang up Vet (back when they were Aussie
owned) and asked them if they had anything that would
allow operators to stop Microsloth's automated installers
on CD from taking over my PC and insisting on installing
whatever it had, as I saw this as typifying the actions
of a virus.

That aside, I have found AdAware to be an absolutely
marvellous tool.  Useful and non-destructive to my files.
(If an anti-spyware tool gets too aggressive in
"cleansing" things, it could do untold damage in such
fragile environments as WinDoze, where a spaghetti of key
files holds the whole mess together by a al dente noodle.)

As I almost never use the Internet Exploder Web Bruiser
(except as an absolute  last resort) flushing its cookies,
grabbed files and history immediately afterward - and
mainly use Opera instead.  I also flush Opera (Tools >
Delete Private Data...) at the end of each Web session,
so my home P of C stays very happy and healthy indeed.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael E. Granat
Qualified Good Tech Writer Dude
Fellowship Of The Ring Of Tech Writers, Yeah Baby!
T/as Write Ideas
E-mail: mailto:writeideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: <http://home.pacific.net.au/~megranat/>
Without Prejudice.