atw: Re: Anyone have experience with capturing to Adobe Premiere? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

  • From: Howard.Silcock@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 09:25:06 +1100

Thanks, Mark

I realise I should have given more details. If it had been a question
about Word or Excel, I'm sure I would have - but here my ignorance makes
me act dumb.

No, he's not using Vista - or Firewire. I got him to describe the set-up
and the problem:

Specs:

-  Panasonic Video Camcorder, model NV-GS500, using MiniDV  tapes

-  Connected via USB2.0 (NOT FireWire or IEEE-1394, no port  installed)

- Using Windows XP (S/P 2)

-  Running Adobe Premiere Pro v 1.5

-  Premiere acknowledges camera (status 'detected') but cannot activate or
control  camera via USB link.  Displays error message "Can't Activate
Recorder.  Try resetting camera."  (This doesn't work).  Windows  Movie
Maker has no such problem, but creates many complications in the capture
process, i.e. large file size, clips not registered, loss of quality +
dropped  frames, etc.

-  Other capturing programs also create file and seem unable to capture
audio from  camera, as they require audio be captured from sound card
(audio from playing  camera is not heard through the speaker ergo not
through sound card) and our  sound card cannot capture from microphones
(pointless as there is no cord to  properly connect).

Hope this gives you and others some idea of the problem.

Howard

Howard Silcock
Technical Writer
Zare Pty Ltd
Ph  02 6261 2073
Fax 02 6112 2073

"Kofler, Mark" <Mark.Kofler@xxxxxx>
Sent by: austechwriter-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
08/01/2008 05:06 PM
Please respond to
austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
atw: Re: Anyone have experience with capturing to Adobe Premiere?
[SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

What camera and Operating system is he using? Is he using  Firewire under
Vista? Vista has known issues with Firewire. I have never been  able to
get Vista to recognize my Cannon video camera.
Look at support at Microsoft for Vista and Firewire for  some work around.
Also try another PC with a Firewire port, preferably  running XP. If it
does not work under XP, suspect a hardware fault on the  camera. I have
been told that incorrect connection to a firewire port can burn  out the
motherboard on the camera - which is what also happened to  me.
Check the firewire card is properly enabled and working  through System
Devices in Control panel. Install/update drivers if required for  the
Firewire card.
Also try another device on the Firewire card, like an Ipod,  if it does
not work, suspect a faulty Firewire card. There only about $20 bucks  to
replace.
Contact the  Support area of the maker of the camera.

Cheers,  Mark

Mark  Kofler
CA
Senior  Technical Writer