atw: OT - a query

  • From: "Samantha Lawry" <sjlawry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 13:45:32 +1100

Hi all,
have been reading all your posts with much interest. I'm interested in
working towards becoming a technical writer but have been a bit confused
about what quals/experience/skills (eg. which applications/programs) might
be required or necessary in order for someone to call themselves a
'technical writer'. I'm not planning on doing so yet! Have done some
research but would be grateful if anyone could point me in the right
direction or offer some simple advice.

So far I've worked as a lawyer for 7 years, have a Diploma of Arts (Prof
Writing and Ed) from RMIT and have worked as a writer/editor/plain language
drafter in community legal education. Comfortable in MS Word (not so much
macros etc), Excel etc; few other technical skills but not afraid of
anything!

Just tell me if you think I'm shamefully exploiting this list...
Either way, thanks for what I've learnt so far!
Cheers,
Sam