atw: OT: Astrophysical flim-flammery

I sure am. Stephen (what a great name eh?) Hawking explained it all a number
of years ago.

Technically speaking, black holes are fuzzy but they have no hair. That is,
they emit no hard radiation (eg light), but they do cause particles to be
emitted. Hard space is not nothing. Particles and anti-particles
spontaneously form and then re-annihilate themselves in their joyous
re-union a picosecond or two later. It is possible that this spontaneous
particle formation can occur right on the event horizon. When this occurs,
one particle is sucked beyond the Schwarzschild limit whilst the other
particle no longer has its anti-particle to destroy it, and sails off above
the event horizon.

Now, if that aint YOUR black hole, you are making obscure and obscene jokes
in Russian :-)

Interestingly enough one of the big research questions of the moment is
attempting to calculate the amount of energy contained in hard space - a
side-effect of which is this particle formation. The 'fabric' of space time
has a massive energy potential, and as E=mc^2 then this helps account for
'dark matter' attractive pull to counter the expansion of hard space.

At the moment though, it appears the expansion of the universe is
accelerating, leading to a potential cold entropy death a lot sooner than
previously. So even if we achieve telomere replacement therapies, you're
still screwed :-) However, it is also been shown that there is spontaneous
permanent matter formation in deep space - ye olde hydrogen. So it is all a
bit screwy to say the least. As space time is modulated by mass, it appears
mass is created on demand in satisfy the, extremely flat mind, curvature of
space.

All very intriguing eh? :-)

Steve