atw: Internal Resource Map

  • From: Ken Fredric <KenFredric@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 15:40:25 +1000

Hope this request isn't too left-field for this list. If it is, and if there is
a better place to ask this question, please let me know.

I imagine we're no different from many companies (around 80 staff) in that we
have thousands of commonly used documents & files stored in various locations
such as network folders, intranet (SharePoint), the company website, customer
portal that doubles as a resource for staff, etc.

Because staff don't know where a particular resource is located, this leads to
many requests along the lines of "where can I find the latest version of
ABC.doc". And because I'm the techncal writer, it's assumed that I must be
responsible for all documents, so all the requests come to me.

We have staff based all around Australia, with head office here in Brisbane.

I am in the initial stages of planning what I have called a 'Resource Map'. The
purpose of this map will be to provide a single point where all staff members
can come to search for resources such as documents and files that are stored
somewhere in a location that is accessible to all staff.

Haven't yet gotten to the point of deciding on the format, or decided whether
it should be editable by all staff, e.g. a wiki.

I'm wondering whether others on this list have faced this problem and come up
with a workable solution. Also wondering if there is any software out there
that could help with this.

Thanks,

Ken Fredric