atw: Dinosaurs and punctuation

  • From: "Christine Kent" <cmkentau@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 17:58:39 +1000

I have just made another observation regarding the problem of whether "our
grammar" is defunct.

I was listening to a very young newsreader and finding her uncomfortable to
listen to and difficult to understand, so I paid attention. Something was
"wrong" with the "rhythm" of what she was saying.  It is something I have
wondered about with younger people - why I can find some of them really
difficult to follow, but I have never really paid attention before now.

I had a teacher in year 12 who, instead of teaching us grammar, told us to
put commas where we wanted the reader to take a short breath and a full stop
where we wanted them to take a longer breath.  In effect our punctuation
told the reader when to breathe.  It's an excellent system, even if it is
technically incorrect at times.

This newsreader was putting all her pauses in the wrong place.  She would
run-on at the end of sentences with no pause at all, and put short or long
pauses in the middle of clauses.

I  struggled to follow what she was saying.  Did she follow it herself?  Was
she reading for meaning or just reading words? Is there some internal logic
comprehended by other young people? Or does no-one care anymore whether
we/they understand what is said or not?

Someone must be researching this.

Christine