[austechwriter] Re: Resumes are a show case for a Tech Writer

  • From: "Nigel Dawes" <NDawes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 16:56:58 +1000

Michael wrote, re: HTML format CVs:
> plus you could do some
> special things with it to make your applications stand out from the pack

Exactly my point, Michael!
The possibilities are endless when it comes to a CV using multimedia
formats.
And in this day and age of IT, when things are so difficult, imagine what
you could
do to stand out.

Consider the approach many graphic designers take in order to get
noticed in an ever-more competitive market.

. ...Actually (OT!): A friend of mine, some years back,  hired a
semi-trailer for a job interview
and turned the entire thing into her [graphic design] portfolio. Needless to
say, the employer
(Disney) was blown away and she got the job.

It's a pity we're limited by the formats/formatting that job agencies impose
on us.
Pfff.... Word is so limiting!

Rgds
Nigel Dawes
Architectural Consultant
Chartres Business Solutions
(02) 9247 2090

From: "Michael Edward Granat" <megranat@xxxxxxxx>
Sender: <austechwriter-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [austechwriter] Re: Resumes are a show case for a Tech  Writer
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 16:37:24 +1000

Well, seeing as you asked, Nigel (Dawes).

IMHO, HTML is a perfectly valid and highly portable format for many forms
of documentation along with job applications, plus you could do some
special things with it to make your applications stand out from the pack.

Provided that you make sure that your code works with an open standards Web
browser, so that it is able to be opened on any platform with any browser,
then I say go for it!

The main impediment to us being versatile is the recruitment industry
insistence on everything being in Word format (whether it is or not!) so
that they can mess with it and fit it into their pro forma documents,
making whatever reaches the work provider prospect (far too rarely their
signed-off client) bear little or no resemblance to (or looking like an
embarrassing, poorly presented and muddled cousin of) what you created in
the first place.

Cheers,

Michael Granat
Write Ideas